Busy summer… I didn’t have time to write much lately. I did have time to do some sewing though. I cannot share everything unfortunately. But, here are a few small projects I did in the last month.
First, I did a eyeglasses case for my stepfather. I did my own pattern. I used a firm interfacing (similar to Timtex) for it. I really like how the case holds its shape. The only thing I regret is the snap closure. It is much too stiff. It’s not a so great idea when you try to close the case with your eyeglasses inside. Next time, I think I would probably use a magnet closure.
For the exterior, I used a fabric from the Parson Gray’s Curious Nature collection which I love and which I find really masculine. I got this from a scrap bag at Emeline & Annabelle at the last sew-in we did with the Montreal Modern Quilt Guild. For the interior, I used some flannel I had in my stash. My stepfather was quite happy tor receive the case for his birthday.
Then for father’s day, I made a fabric tray for my husband. I had made him a small change basket for Christmas. And lately, he kept asking me to make him a second one for our hallway desk to put his keys when he comes in. This time I tried this tutorial. However, since the heavy interfacing I had wasn’t fusible, I decided try out a little quilt as you go. I quilted the top to the interfacing as I was piecing the log cabin. My husband was happy to get this one. It fills up everyday when he comes home from work. I think next time I’ll make it a bit bigger!
The last project does no longer exist, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I tried to do something similar to the eyeglass case with heavy interfacing, but this time for a camera case. I also added a layer of batting for the interior as I wanted something that would well protect my new compact camera. I quilted the heavy interfacing, batting and interior fabric together and then I sewed it to the exterior fabric right sides facing each other and leaving an opening to turn right side out. This time I did use a magnet closure. I really liked how it looked. But, It thought it was much too big. So, I tried to make it smaller by cutting the excess and using some bias binding to cover the raw edges. But, I messed it up… A few days later, I found a really stiff and cute case at a store for just 4$ in which my camera fitted perfectly. So, I bought it and I didn’t try to redo mine.
I also did some progress on some older projects. I did the quilting for my sewing machine cover, my serger cover and for my sister’s piano cover that I started in the online Curve Class at Stitched In Color. The next photo shows all the panels for both covers. They do not look really good in this photo. I had sprayed them to remove the quilting lines the day before taking the picture so they are all wrinkled. I didn’t think to do it afterwards. I remove them right away as I don’t plan to have time to assemble those any time soon. I have some other projects with higher priority first!
For the piano cover, I didn’t use any batting. I just quilted the top panel to a designer home decor weight fabric that I got from my aunt. It shows a bit in the window’s reflection. It has some black curvy lines on a white background. I think it suits well the piecing of the top panel. To continue along those lines, I also did some curvy lines for the quilting. I used a Silky variegated thread in shades of red and I really like the effect.
I hope I’ll have more time to share on my blog in the coming weeks!