My sewing machine has been away for 2 weeks now and I will only be getting it back on April 2nd. I miss it. It went for a tune up and I also had the thread cutter repaired. I broke it just a bit before Christmas. A needle dropped in the machine while quilting my Christmas stocking. So, for now I’ve been preparing some projects: designing and cutting fabric.
The first one is a square patchwork baby size quilt. I have plenty of fabrics used for my second boy’s bedroom that was left. See this set on Flickr to look at what I had made for him. I don’t have any post on this since I wasn’t blogging at that time. All of it was inspired by Michael Miller Zoology print. The thing I like the most is the applique I made on his duvet cover.
Anyway, back to the leftover fabrics. When I saw this quilt by Ashley at Film in the Fridge, I thought it was a great idea for a quick project to use some of it. Like her, I used 6″ squares.
Also there has been some time I want to try out orange peel quilting and I think it would fit nicely a patchwork quilt. Elizabeth Hartman just wrote a great tutorial
on this earlier this week. So, when I get my machine back I should be ready in no time to give it a try. Even by fannel back panel and binding is cut!
My second project is for my sewing room. In fact, it’s two projects, a cover for both my sewing machine and serger. It might even be three if I have enouch fabric to make a patchwork valance for the window in my sewing/laundry room. I had bough some fabrics from the Early Bird collection by Cosmo Cricket at Effiloché
more than a year ago to make those projects. I wanted to used some small squares like in postage stamp quilts, but I wasn’t sure about the design to use. When I saw the granny square block tutorial
by Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches, it thought this would be a great idea. But, I’m planning a little variation on it. I will make 4 granny squares joined together (see first picture below). This will be used for my serger cover. The second layout on my design wall is for the sewing machine cover.
It’s not final but here is my original sketch.
As solid colors, I’ll use some Kona in Olive and the other one is some ColorWorks cotton from Northcott. They have this for solid color cottons at a fabric shop nearby. And I liked the match of the Honey color with the Early Bird prints.
The olive will be used for the background of the serger cover and for the solid stripes of the sewing machine cover (green in sketch). The remaining of the sewing machine cover will be in honey. I can’t wait to put those covers on my machines. It will bring some life to my sewing room which is pretty dull right now!