The month of May has been a pretty busy one. I worked on different projects. One of which is a roll-up case for knitting needles. I made this for my sister’s birthday which was this past week-end. I constructed it like a quilt with batting between two layers of cotton fabrics. I’ve quilted it and finished the edges with binding. I’ve used fabrics from Joel Dewberry’s Ginseng collection to make it. I made two rows of pockets for the different needle sizes and lengths and other knitting accessories. I’ve put a flap at the top to hold and protect the needles head. The case is quilted with straight lines from top to bottom except around the appliqués. The straight stitches are also used to delimit the pockets. For this reason, the case is quilted partly before attaching the pockets and completed after.
On the exterior, I’ve added some appliqués as embellishments. It’s a column of three hexagons which were done using the English Paper Piecing technique and hand-stitched to the top panel. I also handembroidered a running stitch along the edge of the middle hexagon as an additional detail.
Here is the result with the needles and rolled-up.
I will probably write a tutorial shortly. Stay tune!
… And here it is!